A major cause of overwhelm is when you don’t have a tool to track your tasks – other than your brain.
Pause for a moment and consider just how many tasks, ideas, projects, and plans you’ve currently got floating through your brain like balloons. They keep flitting around bumping into other thoughts, never staying put on your mental to-do list.
It takes constant vigilance to keep all of these balloons in order and the one moment you let your guard down, off into the abyss floats your plan to end world hunger, a reminder to buy your nephew’s birthday present, and who knows what else?
Sound kind of stressful? Energy consuming? Anxiety producing?
Let me be clear: It is.
When we rely on our brains alone to track your tasks everyday we are literally setting ourselves up for sleepless nights, unclear priorities, and forgotten activities.
A simple way to reduce stress and overwhelm is to start routinely getting things out of your head and into a system that you trust enough to actually use.
Once you begin to track your tasks outside of your brain you start to create so much more room for new ideas, increased creativity, and calmer thoughts to come roaring in.
The more you get out of your head, the more great things bubble to the surface, and the less stressed you will feel.
Feel like starting now? Here are some tools to track your tasks – other than your brain.
For My Tech Lovers:
- Evernote is a free digital service that allows you store, track, and organize clipped articles, pictures, notes, reminders, etc. from your computer, phone, or the web. It is truly amazing!
- RememberTheMilk is a very popular task manager application that works with just about every mobile device and online calendar system you can think of.
- Inspiration hits while you’re on the go? No problem! Use Jott a nifty phone service that transcribes your voice notes and sends them to your inbox!
For My Paper Lovers:
- Let’s start with our favorite old standby, the tried and true paper system. Keep your list to one piece of paper daily or one specific notebook that you keep close by to capture your incoming tasks and to cross things off your list!
- You will no longer be kicking yourself for forgetting that million dollar invention you thought of in the shower. Aqua Note is here! That’s right folks, this product offers waterproof paper to make sure your brilliant moments are never forgotten again.
- ListPlanIt.com offers over 400 printable lists for every part of life. From financial planning lists to moving to special lists for students.
Experiment to see which tool works best for you. Here’s another quick video tip on how to set up a ritual for tracking your tasks each day.
Are You Ready To Upgrade Your Time Management and Task Systems?
If you are ready to put ALL the pieces together of your time and task management system I encourage you to check out my digital workbook on Amazon.com called True For You Time Management. It walks you through the process of building a time and task system that really and truly works for you. Click here to check it out.
If you’d prefer to have immediate feedback as you build your system click here to learn about my productivity coaching programs.